IMPORTANT: You may install and use this software only in accordance with the terms of the enclosed software license agreement.
Thoroughly read this documentation and make sure you understand and are comfortable with the requirements and all the installation steps. Make sure you understand all the various components and steps that form part of the overall system:
- The CatDV server stores clip data in a central database, for which you need a supported relational Database Server application. Currently CatDV Server supports the following Database Servers:
- Built-in Database (H2) – a lightweight but fast database server built into CatDV Server.
- MySQL – a widely used open-source database server.
- Oracle – high-end commercial relational database server.
- Microsoft SQL Server – popular commercial Windows-only databse server.
- The CatDV Server is a server program that is specific to CatDV. It runs on the server machine (usually the same machine as the Database Server is running on) and communicates with the Database Server server process to access the database.
- The Workgroup, Enterprise and Pegasus Server share the same code but are controlled by which license key is installed.
- The CatDV Pro Client Application is a separate desktop application that runs under Windows or Mac OS X and connects to the CatDV Server via a local area network. You use the Server menu commands in the client application to communicate with the CatDV server.
- CatDV Web Client (and the older Live HTML Publisher) are optional Java web applications that runs within an application server such as Apache Tomcat to provide access to the CatDV database from a web browser. It is possible to customize the appearance and functionality of the web application, but in general the capabilities of the web interface are more limited than those of the CatDV client application with the CatDV server.
- Apache Tomcat is a free, open-source web application sever available included within the CatDV Server to support the Web Client, Adobe Premiere Plug-in Panel, Live HTML Publisher, and other web services.
- Java is a programming language and environment for writing cross-platform software applications. It is pre-installed as part of the operating system software on many platforms but, if necessary, you can download a version for your platform for free. The CatDV Server, the Client Application and the Live HTML Publisher all require Java.
Thus you may need to download and install various third party software in addition to the CatDV server software from Square Box Systems Ltd. Full instructions and URLs are included in this documentation however.
Unless you use the embedded Java database, installing database software for the first time consists of downloading and installing the MySQL, Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server server software, running scripts to set up a user account and permissions, and then creating the database or databases you want. CatDV is one such database but the same database server software can simultaneously provide many other separate databases for completely unrelated applications. Once you have performed the one time installation process you also need to make sure that the database server process or “daemon” is started each time the machine is restarted.
Similarly, for the CatDV Server you need to perform one time installation steps (unpack the archive containing the release notes you are now reading, place the CatDV server files in an appropriate directory location, and run a script to create the CatDV database) and ensure that the CatDV Server program starts each time the server machine is rebooted.
To install the MySQL, Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server database and the CatDV Server on a machine you will require system administrator privileges and a working knowledge of administration procedures for your chosen operating system.
Remember that setting up any server (eg. a mail server, web server, file server, etc.) is typically a more specialised activity than installing a desktop application. It may require additional skills (such as familiarity with editing XML files or use of the command line) to those needed for
In particular, some exposure to using the command line would be helpful as you may need to use this in certain situations (primarily for troubleshooting). Under Mac OS X you need the Terminal application (in Application > Utilities) and under Windows the MS-DOS Prompt, available via the Start button.
The CatDV Server is cross-platform software, originally developed for Unix-type platforms, so the installation process may appear slightly unfamiliar to you if you are primarily used to desktop applications under Mac OS X or Windows.
If you encounter any problems, please consult your local system support group, review any of the many online resources for MySQL, Java and Apache Tomcat, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
CatDV Server License Key
For the CatDV Server to operate correctly you require a server license registration code. This code is emailed to you when you purchase a Workgroup or Enterprise Server product. We can also issue time-limited evaluation licenses on request.
The registration code is stored in a text file called catdv.properties. This file also holds other configuration information, such as the database you are using. The same file is used to configure both the CatDV Workgroup or Enterprise Server and the Live HTML Publisher. The CatDV Control Panel can be used to edit this file (or you can use a text editor), either to update the registration details or to change the server configuration.
Please contact email@example.com if you do not have your server registration code.
For registration queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our web site. For technical queries email email@example.com. Please also check the sales and support FAQs if you have any support queries. This is regularly updated with late-breaking news and has a section on server-related issues.
Please do contact us if you sport any inaccuracies in this document or if anything isn’t clear! (Third party URLs in particular do change from time to time and we need your help to keep this document up to date.)