Migrating CatDV Server to replacement server hardware
If you need to move your current CatDV Server and Database as a result of upgrading hardware then it is important to follow these recommended steps
- Make sure your new hardware server is installed and running and, where necessary that the appropriate users, permissions etc. have been created
- Run the CatDV Server Control Panel on the old hardware
- Click on the Stop button in the CatDV Server section to shutdown CatDV Server. Wait until it stops
- Select Backup Database… from the Tools menu and follow the instructions to create a complete backup of your existing CatDV database
- On the new server hardware install the same CatDV Server version and databse provider that is running on the old hardware – follow these steps
- Check you have a fully functioning CatDV Server setup on the new hardware but with an empty database
- Restore database from the CatDV Server Control Panel Tools menu and navigate to the database backup created in step 4
- Wait for the process to complete
- Update CatDV Server Software on the new hardware to the latest release from our downloads page
- Decommission old server hardware
- Click on the Start button in the CatDV Server panel on the new server and wait for the server to restart
- Make sure any IP configuration changes have been made to connecting CatDV Clients and Worker Nodes
You should now see 4 green lights indicating that server has started correctly.
Switching Database Servers as Part of a CatDV Server Upgrade
If you are upgrading your CatDV Server instance to a new version and you also want to switch to another database you must perform the two actions separately:
- First – upgrade your existing CatDV Server installation to the new version
- Then – when everything is up and running perform the data migration as described above.
Do not attempt to switch database server while you perform the server upgrade.